Monday, March 4, 2019

Day 150: on minding the details

Himself and I stuck with our intention from last night, and got up a bit earlier than usual today to tidy up the house, prior to the case manager from IHSS coming over to evaluate the Queen Mother. Once things were squared away to our satisfaction (though mom had some more input to share once we said we were done), Himself went back to bed. I had my tea to help me wake up and try to chase off the headache, which had returned overnight. I also filled out the paperwork required by the case manager, which was basically a list of the Queen Mother's doctors (very short) and her medications (a little bit longer). Mom is actually in decent physical shape, all things considered - she's only taking a handful of over the counter supplements, and doesn't have any prescriptions to be filled or refilled. Her mental state is another story, with the Dementia taking a little more of her mind every day. :(

The case manager came by and asked the Queen Mother questions, which I helped to answer, then mom signed a few forms, and that was that, or so we thought. We received a call a few hours later saying there was an issue with the Queen Mother's Medi-Cal: it was showing as "terminated," and without Medi-Cal, mom would be ineligible to be helped through IHSS. Could we call over and see what was going on?

As far as we knew, the appeal that we had filed was still in process. So I called the agent who had worked with me on the appeal, and she double checked: yep, it was still In Process, so the Queen Mother's Medi-Cal should still be good. She sent an email to the appropriate parties today, and I will call tomorrow to make sure the message was received, especially since it was hinted that there would be a modest increase in the number of hours for me to help mom out. (We are still waiting to hear word back from the DMV as to when she was certified as "disabled.")

I stepped out briefly to get a flavor of cat food I had been unable to get on Sunday, then had my nap as Himself took care of his business. I was up in time for dinner, and in checking my bank balance, saw I needed to make one more quick call to stop one more automatic payment from my account. I did, and realized I was feeling a little anxious afterwards. I should have enough money to cover the HOA fee, once I receive my paycheck, which should be in a few days...

I am exhausted from having to keep an eye on the hundred little details as we wait on other folks to make decisions and give authorizations. I have been indulging in some heavy duty Procrastination as of late, doing only what is most needful, when it's most needful. I find myself praying a little every day for things to go our way Sooner, rather than Later. I will be glad when we reach the summit of this mountain we are climbing. It seems we have entered the mists on our climb; when they clear, we will see how close the summit actually is.

Tomorrow begins another round of appointments for Himself, so perhaps I will find some distraction by focussing on those details instead. Meanwhile I keep putting one foot in front of the other, and do what needs to be done Just for Today.

2 comments:

  1. Sending all good energy and thoughts for dealing with all of those details. You have a lot to juggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it feels like one of those variety acts that sets a dozen plates spinning all at once, and you have to make sure all the plates are still spinning, lest they fall and crash! It's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete