Thursday, March 7, 2019

Day 153: on stabilizing

The cats didn't wake me up until it was almost time for my alarm to go off; yes, I set an alarm so I can get up in time to help the Queen Mother with her breakfast. I was primarily preoccupied with Himself after rising and shining, as he was still challenged in putting weight on his right leg without his thigh muscles screaming in protest.

Despite this, I had enough sense to heat the water for my tea and let it steep. Before I settled in with my Morning Pages, I checked my voicemail, and received a message from the Appeals representative from Medi-Cal. There will be a share of cost, but it won't go into effect until April 1st, so I have until then to get the Queen Mother off of income-based Medi-Cal. Himself jumped in with opinions about what to do next - and I wound up having a decent-sized meltdown because I just wanted to concentrate on Tea and Morning Pages! Fortunately, he backed off and apologized, and I took pen to paper and wrote myself into a place of Stability.

When I was done, I had breakfast, then took a shower. By this time, Himself decided a bit of Mind Over Matter was needed, and he pulled himself together enough to get out of bed and into the shower. It was much easier to help him after I had showered. We then headed out to do some much needed grocery shopping; thanks to the generosity of Himself's stepmother (my stepmother-in-law?), I was able to save some of our precious resources for later in the month. 

We got home and took care of dinner in time for my caregiver support group, which I totally needed this evening! Granted, Himself's current medical adventure will be a brief one, especially compared to the Queen Mother's Long Walk Home, but I'm not handling this iteration of the whole Caregiving for Two gig as gracefully as I would like. Oddly enough, the slower either one of them is moving from Point A to Point B, the faster I feel like I should move to "compensate" in some fashion. Food for thought...

We came home a bit earlier than usual, and Himself is now resting. Tomorrow he intends to make his VA appointments, and I will be driving, as I have been for the past two days. I actually prefer to be behind the wheel, because (I realize) this is one of the few places I DO have a measure of Control, and driving is something that requires all of my focus, so I have a good reason to tune out anything that I might consider a "distraction."

I'm in a much better place now than I was this morning, and especially yesterday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment