Thursday, January 17, 2019

Day 104: on making a list of "100 things"

Today was mainly a rainy day. There was a gap in the downpour this morning, and Inkblot chose that moment to ask to be let outside. I let him out, and realized that it was a lot brighter than usual, because it was a lot later than usual - 9:40am, in fact! I had a choice: to go back to sleep for 20 minutes, or to go ahead and start my day. I chose to embrace this gift of Quiet Time that I had been given and moved into the day, starting with a shower, feeding Pippa (the much smarter cat of the household), and easing into my Tea and Morning Pages ritual. I actually finished writing in the pages before the Queen Mother arose, as the rest of the household rose and began to shine much later than I had.

Yesterday and today I have been doing an exercise I learned from a planner I have gotten in the past, and will get again in the future, when I have the means to do so. It's writing down a list of things to do in 2019, whch can range to the most basic and practical to the most elaborate and fantastic. I have actually gone back through some old lists and found things I didn't do, sat with them to see which were still doable and which I needed/wanted to let go of, and wrote down those that still sparked a little in my heart. Many of the things from the older lists turned out to be creative in nature, something that found a deep resonance in my spirit, as creating artsy things has been the furthest thing from my mind these last few years!

I combined those things with things that I would like to do for myself as a Caregiver, as well as things I would like to do to make myself healthier, things that I would like to start doing again, and things that I need to do once we get some decent money coming into the house again. It took a couple of days, but I did come up with 100 things that were not repeats or reiterations of earlier items.

A random sampling of a few of these items:
4) Read Mark Twain's Autobiography (which I still haven't done)
87) Get new glasses and sunglasses (the latter pair snapped in half last year)
36) Drink half my weight in water
77) Retrieve (from storage) and resume my art journal (combining words with hand-drawn pictures brings a whole new dimension to my journaling practice)
58) Get rid of all electronic waste (taking items to a special recycler instead of just dumping them in the trash)
You get the idea.

It was a good day today. Though we got to the support group a little later than I would have liked, the group was small, and I was still able to share at length. It was misty off and on this evening, and I got a nice "mood shot" for my Daily Story. Between the easy pace, the composing of my list, and the support group, I am feeling a measure of peace and serenity. There are still challenges ahead, but they feel much more achievable now.

Tomorrow is supposed to be partly to mostly sunny for much of the day, so there will be a change in the weather, and the start of a drying out period. There are one or two things that we will need to do outside of the house, but I might also do a little wandering about. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment