Thursday, January 24, 2019

Day 111: on dispatching a nightmare

Himself and I attended the Queen Mother's Medi-Cal hearing today. I was going in not knowing exactly what was going to happen, and with the Deep Fear that I hinted at last night nipping at my heels: namely, I had a significant fear of being Judged, Convicted, and Punished. I am not terribly fond of official Authority Figures for this reason. The explanation for this fear is rather esoteric and convoluted, so I'll spare y'all the details, but I will be happy to discuss it privately.

So, the hearing...we arrived early, in case I had to wait forever for my number to be called. I met with the Appeals person who had been assigned to my case; she laid everything out in Plain English. We waited until the judge was ready, then entered. I will admit my shoulders dropped about a foot when I saw the judge was a woman. The appeals person talked first, then we responded, and had a very good discussion.

The wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly, and we were inspired with a couple of options to pursue - One I somehow hadn't thought of before, and one I had pursued earlier, but had dismissed as "unworkable." Having had it explained to me more distinctly, I see that it might be very workable. So to see whether or not this latter option is indeed workable, Himself and I will be making a wee trip to the DMV tomorrow. More to come...

I left the County office not just relieved, but reinvigorated. Everyone I've interacted with so far has been very nice and very patient with this somewhat overwhelmed and confused caregiver. I press on in my Epic Quest. I walked through a nightmare and watched it dissolve as I emerged on the other side.

The complicated part of the day came with our subsequent trip down to the VA Medical Center, as Himself needed to renew several of his medications. To summarize, one was delayed (but he got it renewed), and one was missing (and supposedly expired, so he will need to talk to his Primary doctor about that next week). Eventually we made it out, and eventually we made it home, rather late for dinner. The Queen Mother was a bit miffed, but settled down once her food was on the table. 

Pharmacy hijinx aside, today was a much better day than I thought it was going to be. Now to double check for the Queen Mother at the DMV tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad that the hearing had some good outcomes. Always sending good thoughts and energy.

    ReplyDelete