Sunday, November 11, 2018

Day 37: on veteran's day

Today has been a good day, flowing smoothly and with Ease. We made it back to our Sunday support group, and we updated everyone with what has been going on in our lives. It's lovely to be among other people who are not necessarily in the same boat, but who are traveling in the same river. Originally we were invited to attend because of Himself's colon cancer, but when I was advised that any chronic condition was welcome, I knew I had found a place where I could share about my Depression...and for a time, I wasn't the only person working with/through Depression, nor have I been the only Caregiver, so I am happy to have a place where Himself and I can share equally, and be regarded equally as well. :)

For the past week, I've been keeping an eye on the special Veteran's Day dinners, sharing the deals with Himself. We finally agreed on meeting one of his fellow vets tonight at the Macaroni Grill. As the veteran's spouse, I didn't get a special meal, but I did find a reasonably priced entree - some Eggplant Parmesan. All of the food was very tasty. :q

If you had asked me about my "ideal partner" at the start of this decade, getting into a relationship with someone either currently or formerly in the military would not have been on the list. I am not a warmonger, nor am I a big fan of the military. Having said that, my father was a nurse in the Navy, so perhaps I was "predisposed," in a sense, to find myself falling for a former sailor. Stepping into Himself's world has been eye-opening, and I have developed a feeling of compassion for veterans in general, and for his friends and associates in particular.

It is shameful to see how veterans are treated in certain circles; though I might not agree with the wars and conflicts they have fought in, I do believe they should be given the opportunity to heal from their physical and mental wounds, and be welcomed back into society - and if the government says they shall receive "special" support, they should receive that support, instead of being hung out to dry or left to fend for themselves with no support. Unfortunately, red tape is red tape, no matter whether or not you're military.

Tomorrow we will both resume pursuing the next chapter in our own bureaucratic adventures, yet if all goes well, perhaps we will cap off the day with another special Veteran's dinner, as there will be a few places still offering specials. Hopefully I will be able to carry the Ease of today over into tomorrow, as there will be something of a "holiday" feel, and I'm sure some places will be closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment