Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Day 47: on the day before

Today there was a sense of, "If you need anything, better get it NOW, before everything shuts down for the next few days." After an easy start to the day, that's what we wound up doing.

Our first stop was at Jewish Family Services. They have been extraordinarily helpful on this journey, since Himself was going through his cancer experience. They have a pantry for folks in need, and we have availed ourselves of this pantry from time to time. Today we received a "holiday bag" of food. There was a small Hormel turkey dinner (which the Queen Mother will enjoy), some pumpkin spice protein bars (heh - I have dibs on those), and various cans of food. I laid claim to the corn, and there are some things that we'll be able to share with friends who are also going through a rough patch.

Himself received some birthday money (a generous gift from his stepmother) a little early, so we went to Target to pick up a few things, including a pumpkin pie half the size of the usual pies available. Then we swung by Sprouts to grab a veggie tray for a potluck lunch we're going to attend tomorrow. Though the grocery stores were jumping yesterday and today, it was the calm before the storm at places like Target. No one in our family is planning to participate in the special insanity that is Black Friday this year.

We got some great news when we returned home: the property management company and the pest control company had agreed to postpone the fumigation in our complex until January. We all heaved a sigh of relief; now I have some time to see if we can squirrel away a bit of money for the hotel, or perhaps make an alternative arrangement, and also see if I can get Inkblot leash-trained. He is the more adventurous of the cats, and it would give us all greater peace of mind if I'm able to take him out on "supervised outings" while we have to be away from our home during the fumigation process.

After dinner, I tackled the paperwork that had piled up on the dining room table. Most got recycled, some of the rest went into a "reading pile" for Himself, and I have a short stack of catalogs to peruse. While sorting everything, I also pulled most of the necessary paperwork I needed to send along with the Queen Mother's Medi-Cal renewal. Now that we don't have to worry about the fumigation next week, I can focus on completing this process and dropping off the necessary forms at the county office. Dare I think December might actually be serene??

Although I see the Autumn Equinox as my time of Gratitude and Giving Thanks for the Bounty of Nature, there will be plenty for me, and us, to celebrate over the next few days. For my friends who will also be celebrating, enjoy the Feast.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you have a reprieve of having to exit your home immediately. I share your disdain for Black Friday. Friday after Thanksgiving is a day to finish cleaning up and catching up on communication for me.

    ReplyDelete