Sunday, November 25, 2018

Day 51: on celebrating with my husband


For those of you who don't know, this is Himself. Yes, he cleans up really well. He answers to Jonathan. Today he celebrates his birthday. He's a bit vain, so you will have to guess how old he is, but I can tell you he's ten years older than I am.

We met at a Cuddle Party in June of 2012, thirty three days after I had declared that I was ready to meet "my Beloved" to the Universe. I say he became a part of my life so that I could work through a few hangups that I had, one of which I mentioned in my Veterans Day post...you know, the one about not wanting to hook up with someone who had been in the military.

After we met, we exchanged phone numbers. I called him after a week, and he asked me why I hadn't responded to any of his texts. The only number I had at that point was a landline, not a cell phone. He was gobsmacked that people still had landlines.

Our first date was at a small restaurant called Ruby's, at the end of Oceanside Pier. While there, we exchanged eyeglasses, and noted that our prescriptions were remarkably similar - in other words, we were both blind as bats. We also share the last four digits of our Social Security numbers; no, I'm not going to tell you which four numbers those are. We share a love of the ocean, so of course that's where we had our first date.

He will tell you he knew I was "The One" immediately after the Cuddle Party. I needed a little more time to be convinced. I didn't take too much longer, though, as we had a very small & intimate Commitment Ceremony in August of 2012. Some of my friends raised concerns about how quickly we chose to be together, but I say there comes a time when you just Know when it's going to work, and the older you are, the less time you need to waste with the games of courtship. We have been together nearly 6 1/2 years.

Cancer was not even a consideration when we met, and was not going to be an excuse for me to leave him when it reared its ugly head. I take my commitments and vows seriously, and I meant it when I agreed to for better and for worse, in sickness and in health. We're stuck with one another until the very end, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He will be tumor-free 2 1/2 years at the end of January, and we are taking steps to keep him that way. 

Happy Birthday, Boo. Here's to many more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment