Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Day 39: on being "appreciated" (day 1)

Today was the first of two "Provider Appreciation Days" I'm planning on attending. This one was put on by the union tht supports caregivers that have signed up to be Providers through In Home Supportive Services; as the Queen Mother's Provider, I was invited to come with a guest, if I so desired. (That's where Himself comes in.)

The event felt a bit haphazard at times, as there was no clear agenda set out for the event. They provided free swag, and I scored some - a scrub shirt, a sun screen for the car, and a reusable coffee mug - along with a "Certificate of Appreciation." The program consisted of some celebration of the election of union-friendly officials following the midterm elections, and an offer to sign up to go through their Leadership Academy. I filled out their application to see if I would qualify; the thought of advocating for other caregivers besides myself appeals to me.

Then there was the promised free lunch: salad and rolls for an appetizer, and some tasty cheese & spinach ravioli for vegetarians like myself. (Himself had the main chicken dish and didn't like his pasta. I ate his broccoli.) Dessert was cookies that had been left as a centerpiece at each table. During lunch, they had a belly dancer perform for us; she was very good, and striking with her body control, especially how delicately and precisely she could dance while balancing a sword upon her head! Finally there was a never-ending raffle (they had to keep drawing numbers because half of the providers had already left!) with various gift cards as the prizes. Unfortunately, we didn't win any of them. :(

Himself and I stopped at Starbucks before we headed home. I prepared the Queen Mother's dinner, and had my own later. Tonight feels like a night to get cozy, as the nighttime temperatures continue to fall. It's beginning to feel a lot like Winter, SoCal style. I'm just waiting for the Santa Ana to fall apart and for humidity to return to more normal levels...everything is so blessedly DRY right now, which is NOT helping the fire situation to the north of us. The weather forecasts are hinting at actual Rain next week (!!), so keep those prayers coming!

Tomorrow it's the County of San Diego's turn to appreciate "us Providers," so it will be interesting to compare notes. and lunches. ;) 

1 comment:

  1. Just stopping by to say hello. I am playing catchup with blog reading. Sounds like you have been very busy. Glad you had some time out.

    ReplyDelete