Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Day 40: on being "appreciated" (day 2)

So today it was the County of San Diego's turn to appreciate their Providers. We arrived at the venue a bit later than I had planned, but in time to hear the first presentation of the day, about Mental Health Issues for both the Care Provider and the Care Receiver. I was reminded of the guidance we receive while traveling on an airplane: we have to put our OWN oxygen masks first, THEN assist our loved ones as necessary. I am considering signing up for the free training seminar to add some my tools to my toolbox.

After the first speaker came lunch: a simple meal of penne pasta and green salad, with breadsticks on the side. I wound up eating Himself's salad, since he can't metabolize raw vegetables properly as a "semicolon." I snagged a few dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses for dessert.

The second speaker came on after lunch, discussing some Resources for Providers. I didn't take as many notes as I had with the first speaker, but she provided some good information as well. We left before the third and final speaker discussed "Caregiving Through the Holidays." Since we really don't celebrate the holidays anymore, it's something of a moot issue.

The flow to this event was much better than yesterday's event...there was a schedule, which they followed closely. They announced when lunch was being served, and it didn't hurt that Himself just happened to be first in the line. They had a survey for the Providers to fill out, to get our feedback; yes, I took the time to fill it out. There was a variety of vendors there, including my friends from SCRC, and I wound up bringing home a ton of brochures and flyers, along with three moree pens. (With the amount of journaling I do these days, I will take all of the free pens I can get!) Today's swag haul,  besides one of the aforementioned pens, was a nice grocery tote, an insulated lunch bag, and another coffee mug, which I can easily use for tea instead. ;)

Mind you, I don't go to these events just to get the free swag, or to grab a gazillion pens; I go to soak up the Information that's presented, whether through speakers or brochures. I go because, just maybe, someone knows about a resource that I don't, or someone is offering a program that would be totally helpful to me, or someone's experience might resonate with me, and give me the reassurance I need in that moment. Having said all that...I shall be happy to sleep in a little longer tomorrow. With any luck, I'll find that desire to be productive that I somehow misplaced on Monday. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment