Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Day 271: on screwing my head on straight

With the most intense of the eclipse energy ebbing, I managed to pick up my head and screw it back onto my body. The only thing I can do right now is Persevere, so that's what I set out to do.

I received a call from PACE - a group that helps with the elderly in San Diego County - and will be calling them back on Friday. I also talked with another group I was referred to, specifically for help with the Queen Mother's Medi-Cal situation, and set up a phone appointment to speak with them on Friday. Himself tied off his loose ends with applying for various programs online, then we made our way down to La Jolla to work out.

After himself gets checked in, the staff take his blood pressure and assign him a little heart monitor he wears in a pouch around his neck, so they can keep an eye on how well his heart is doing. As I am the "healthy" spouse, I don't get a little heart monitor. Then he is / we are put through his / our paces on the various machines. Today I diverged from what he was doing when I went to the reclining eliptical and he took on the Stairmaster, but we came back together to finish up on the treadmill. I got my Sparkle on once again. ;)

It was nearly 4:00 when we were finally finished, and there was the pre-holiday traffic to contend with on the way home - until we got to the 15. While the traffic was frightful on the highway itself, it was nearly delightful in the carpool lanes, which we were able to take full advantage of. We were not nearly as delayed as we thought we were going to be, but we kept to our plan of grabbing some takeout (our monthly treat) and stopped at Panda Express before we arrived home.

The fact that we stopped to grab takeout helped lift my spirits today. Just the idea that we were doing something that "normal" people do without a second thought (most of the time), brought a bit of "normalcy" back into my life. It might sound very weird, but if you're ever at the point where eating out is a rare luxury, especially when you once rarely gave it a second thought, you might get it.

Once home, I got dinner ready for the Queen Mother, and after a handful of  interruptions, got a chance to eat my own dinner. I especially enjoyed the fortune cookie with some dark chocolate. Then I had an evening shower because I could not stand my hair another minute, as it felt particularly gross after both working out and my not being able to wash it for a few days. It's nice and clean now, and I won't have to worry about trying to wash it before leaving tomorrow.

We have been invited to a couple of Independence Day parties tomorrow, and we shall be happy to attend them. It will be nice change of pace to get out and Be Social. I feel better about going out tomorrow than I felt about going out for Memorial Day.

For those who will be celebrating tomorrow: may your barbeque be delicious, may your pets be safely indoors, and may you emerge from the festivities with all of your body parts intact. Mind the Fireworks, people! (They are illegal in California, BTW).

No comments:

Post a Comment