Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Day 326: on picking and choosing

I still have a list of items of huswifery to do, but many items on the list have been checked off. Today was less of a push-to-get-it-done day, and more of a do-what-strikes-my-fancy day. My lower back appreciated the slower pace.

We tried the new fancy water stand today, testing out the hot water portion. Himself and I agree that it's fabulous, and will make it much easier to do Tea and Morning Pages on a regular basis. (Yes, sometimes I skip this ritual because I don't think I have enough time to do it in the mornings!) True to form, the Queen Mother didn't like the new stand, claiming the hot water for her tea wasn't hot enough (?!) So she will stick with her routine and we will shift ours, just a little. 

Since it was majority rules, we took the old jug and stand back to Palomar Water's main office. When I received their bill earlier this month, I discovered we were actually "renting" the jug for $5 per month! As we no longer need to have the jug, why continue to pay for it? We won't be paying a monthly charge for our new stand, so that's a savings right there.

I continued to putter about in the kitchen: emptying out the dishwasher, cleaning up spoons we use exclusively for cat food, sweeping the kitchen floor. Minor things on the surface, but when one has suffered for months on end with near-debilitating Depression, as I have, these "minor things" build upon themselves, to end up (hopefully sooner than later) with a clean-ish house. I want to keep the momentum going now!

I rounded out the doings of the day with changing out a light bulb in the Queen Mother's bathroom. SDG&E gave us a whole bunch of the fancy fluorescent light bulbs once upon a time; they might be great for the electric bill, but they're horrible for the environment, because they leave traces of mercury behind when they're done. Word to the wise: don't use these kind of bulbs in any lamp or light fixture with a dimmer switch. They don't like the fluctuating energy levels and will burn out very quickly, as I found when I was trying to find a light bulb that would light up! (Use LED bulbs instead. They can handle the fluctuations and last almost forever.)

Tomorrow my focus shifts outward as Himself makes another attempt to make it to the Cardiac Rehab center, and I make another attempt to go with him. He has an appointment with the VA Pain Clinic for a follow up afterwards, so I will have an opportunity to go frolic in Jaguar Weather. I'm debating right now whether or not to try for the beach this weekend. On the one hand, we will have the resources to cover a trip; on the other, it will be Labor Day Weekend, so there will be traffic and crowds. Ugh. Choices, choices...

2 comments:

  1. You are a brave soul if you venture to the beach on a holiday weekend. I have no such bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave or crazy. Maybe desperate? Not sure which at the moment. ;)

    ReplyDelete