Thursday, February 14, 2019

Day 132: on Valentine's Day

Full disclosure: for much of my adult life, I felt like Valentine's Day was a lot like VIP memebership at a swank resort: something nice to aspire to, but not likely to get, especially as the years passed and I was still single. Then, 6 years ago, I suddenly received that VIP membership, as I had found Himself, and we were together. I was excited about celebrating my first "real" Valentine's Day. Horribly shallow, perhaps, but also the truth.

With the forecast of raining cats and dogs in the county (a forecast that was Quite Accurate), I was trying not to have super high expectations around this day. Himself had some other plans for the day, which bummed me out (truth be told), but those plans changed with all of the accidents on the I-15 going down to San Diego. So we went to an event where one would not expect a whole bunch of romance: a union meeting. (As I am mom's care provider, I belong to the United Domestic Workers union.)

I was pleasantly surprised to find small heart boxes with chocolates in them, along with other candy and chocolates. I claimed the small box that had a cat on it, naturally. After the official business had concluded, there was a buffet dinner, with three different kinds of pasta (ziti, tortellini, and ravioli), salad, meatballs, and several varieties of sauce. I partook of the marinara and pesto sauces. There was also salad and garlic bread, and cookies for dessert. Not the most romantic of dinners, but it was free, and the dinner was very tasty. 

We came home afterwards, feeling it would be best to call it a night. It wasn't raining when we left, but the rain began to fall again when I went to collect the mail at the back of the complex, and it's been on and off ever since.

One good thing came out of this: both of us committing to "telling our truth faster," as SARK would say. Open lines of communication are essential.

PS - I haven't eaten the chocolates yet, as I ate my fill at the meeting. Will enjoy them starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment