Thursday, February 21, 2019

Day 139: on surfing the shifting tides

It rained off and on today, nothing torrential, but it was cold and windy and it actually hailed at one point, which might be the closest we get to snow here in SoCal. I posted a minute or so of hail on my Messenger as part of my Daily Story efforts.

My Daily Story experiment isn't going as smoothly as this blog experiment is going. I'm missing days here and there, sometimes because I can't find something "interesting" to photograph or video, sometimes because I'm feeling too melancholy (okay, depressed) to bother. I find it far easier to come to this space and type some words, sometimes a handful, other times a short story, and share what's going on that way.

As the weather outside alternated between clouds with rain and hail, and blue skies with sunshine, the weather within alternated as well. I did some long overdue rearranging of some of the kitchen cupboards, putting miscellaneous eats up on the top shelf, with a promise to return for later organizing, and bringing Himself's meds down to the bottom shelf, so I wouldn't have to paw around blindly for medications, and/or grab our small stool from the bedroom and use it to stand on while I looked for the next bottle of whatever medication had run out. That I'm proud of.

On the other hand, our trip over to Albertsons, thanks to the gift card we won at last week's union meeting, didn't feel so smooth. Between what seemed like an interminable wait for Himself's clothes to dry, heading out into the cold and damp, not finding the kind of chicken we wanted (and having to find a frozen equivalent), and having to put something back because it went over the total of the gift card, I was feeling pretty Heavy and hangry by the time we returned home. The hangry I took care of with dinner; the Heavy needed some Quiet Alone Time, with my Himalayan salt candle alight, and a bit of a nocturnal nap. I needed to acknowledge a streak of Shame that I felt when I had to put back the bag of tortilla chips I wanted to buy.

It would not surprise me if I had developed some Seasonal Affective Doldrums along with my Depression, as I seem to be struggling more to keep an even keel in cold Winter-style weather than I do in warm Summer weather. I might get that evaluated at some point, once I have the wherewithal to do so.

The silver lining to all of is that my timesheet was approved, and I will be getting my pay for the first part of February within the next few days. I also realized today that we're almost finished with this month, which makes it two that we've made it through. I'm getting closer to the summit of this mountain, even if I can't see it quite yet.

The foot of the bed will be getting its makeover tomorrow. After that, perhaps the Queen Mother's closet. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment